Founded in 1994, SEEDS had one ultimate goal: building the resilience of people exposed to disasters. For the last 26 years, we have been enabling this through practical solutions for disaster readiness, response and rehabilitation. Our approach has involved grafting innovative technology on to traditional wisdom.
Over this time, our dedicated team has partnered families affected by disasters and climate emergencies in a variety of ways. Disaster survivors have had schools, homes and community infrastructure restored and upgraded. Marginalised communities have gained access to clean water, sanitation and health facilities. Nature-based solutions have been designed to help adapt to climate change in ecologically-sensitive areas. We have also invested in skill building, partnerships and advocacy to build the long-term resilience of at-risk communities.
Our work has reached families across India and Nepal.
SEEDS continues to advocate for and work with communities across Asia to build a safer and more sustainable world.
- CNN-IBN Indian of the Year Award for Public Service 2010 (for rehabilitation work after flash floods in Ladakh)
- Drukpa Award 2011 (for rehabilitation work in Ladakh)
- ‘Catalysts of Change – Ladakh’ awarded best film in the Climate Change Adaptation category at Asia Ministerial Conference for Disaster Risk Reduction 2016
- GuideStar India NGO Transparency award 2016 (Gold Level)
- Recognised as Sendai Target Champion for reducing disaster mortality by UNISDR in 2016 (for work over the years on affordable and safe housing)
- Asian Broadcasting Union (ABU) award for ‘Catalysts of Change Ladakh’ in 2017
- Honorable mention of Resilient Homes Design Challenge, 2018
- Best Civil Society Innovator in Environment and Sustainability category for eNGO Challenge Award 2020
- Silver Award winner of Business World’s Future Of Design Awards 2021 in Space Category for the Sustainable Bamboo Home Design
- One of the India’s Top 50 COVID-19 Last Mile Responders by the World Economic Forum’s COVID Response Alliance for Social Entrepreneurs in 2020-21